What is User Management?User Management as a concept is quite self-explanatory - it is all about managing your users in the LMS. It is directly related to things like departments and groups, and its function is to filter which users an admin has permission to manage. User Management works in tandem with Admin Roles & Permissions, with the former determining WHO a user can manage and the latter determining WHAT a user has access to. Our Admin Roles & Permissions guide can be found here.
When creating or editing an admin in Absorb, you will have the option to make that user an admin of either ALL, DEPARTMENT, or GROUP, as shown here:
As displayed above, these categories fall under the title of 'User Management'. They can be summarized as follows:
- All: This will allow an admin to manage all users in the LMS.
- Department: This will limit the users such that an admin can manage to those belonging to a specific department or departments. Selecting this option will reveal a dropdown menu from which you can designate said departments. Oversight of multiple (potentially unrelated) departments can be set up, and by using the AND SUB-DEPARTMENTS OF option admins can also be set up to oversee any users in any sub-departments of the one(s) selected.
- Group: This will limit the users such that an admin can manage to those belonging to a specific group. Selecting this option will reveal a dropdown menu from which you can select the desired group.
These three categories allow you to create a hierarchical structure of administrative roles and positions within the LMS, allowing you to fully experience the benefits of our department and group features. With User Management, departments and groups are not only used for organizing learners, but for organizing admins too.
Learner Department vs. User Management DepartmentWhen creating or editing an admin, there are two areas in which departments are relevant: the department the user is in (learner department) and the department for which they oversee as an admin (User Management department). Their "learner" department can be found under the INFO tab. This department will be used to match this user up with any availability rules in the LMS (enrollment rules, resource availability, etc.). Departments selected under the User Management section in the ACCOUNT tab will determine which users an admin can oversee and will also match them up with any courses taking advantage of the Admin Visibility Department functionality. This could be considered their "admin" department.
User Management and 'Send to Admin' MessagingIn Absorb's Message Templates, you will often find the optional toggle 'Send to Admin', which sends a copy of the message to the relevant admin when enabled. These messages will only be sent to admins who have their User Management set to DEPARTMENT or GROUP, and never to admins who have their User Management set to ALL. However, if you would like to create an admin who has access to all users AND is able to receive these messages, you can do so with the following set-up:
- Select DEPARTMENT as the User Management category for your admin
- Set the department they can manage to your portal's top-level department INCLUDING its sub-departments
- This user can now receive Send to Admin messages