Applies to: Starter, Pro, Plus, & Enterprise Plans
Absorb 5 has the option to create Groups for users. Groups offer an alternative to departments for categorizing users, as you do not have to change the user's place in the company structure. For example, say that you have multiple offices for a company; each one having users that are placed in the regular departmental structure. You do not want to change your users' departments to reflect the offices in which they are located, however you would like to be able to group together the employees situated in each office. In this instance you would use a group for each office. Alternatively, if you say wanted to group together everyone in your office who spoke a certain language, or perhaps interested in a certain sport, the Groups function is very helpful.
There are a few useful applications for working with the users in a group:
- Availability Rules: Groups can be used as criteria for Absorb's availability rules such as self/automatic enrollment, global resources, new articles, billboards, contests, etc.
- User Management: Admins can be configured to oversee specific groups of users otherwise unrelated by department
- Messaging: When VIEWING USERS (available in the sidebar when selecting a group), up to 1000 users can be selected at a time. You will then be provided with the option to MESSAGE USERS to create a custom message sent to all of the users in your group.
Setting up a Group
To set up a Group, navigate to the USERS > GROUPS, then click ADD GROUP in the top right corner of the page. Once you have entered the name of the Group in the NAME field, you will want to add users to the Group. There are two ways to achieve this, chosen via the BEHAVIOUR toggle below:
- MANUAL: When the toggle is set to MANUAL you are able to manually enter users through typing their name into the Users field, or selecting the users from the dropdown menu.
- AUTOMATIC: If the BEHAVIOUR toggle is set to AUTOMATIC you will then be allowed to add users via Absorb's rule based system. Users can be added here using rules such as department, location, language etc. If you would like to be very specific about what users get added to a group, you can either refine the rules that you have created, or you can add further rules. Once a rule has been set up with the AUTOMATIC behaviour any new users who meet this rule will be added to the group.