This article will cover the different ways that Enrollment Approval is handled within Absorb, and covers the following topics:
- Enabling Enrollment Approval for Courses
- Bypassing Approval
- How Messaging Works for Enrollment Approval
- Approval for ILC Courses and ILC Sessions
- How To Approve Enrollments
- The Learner Experience
Courses hosted in Absorb LMS can be configured to require enrollment approval upon a learner's self-enrollment into the course. This can be configured in the AVAILABILITY tab when editing a course. With approval settings in place, the user in charge of approval will receive a notification requesting approval following a learner's enrollment in a course. Once an admin approves an enrollment, the learner will then be able to access the course.
As displayed in the above image, there are five different settings for Approval:
- NONE: Enrollment requires no approval
- COURSE AUTHOR: The user set up as the course author for the course (set up at the bottom of this same AVAILABILITY tab) must approve enrollments
- SUPERVISOR: The enrolling user's supervisor must approve their enrollment
- ADMIN: The enrolling user's department admin(s) must approve their enrollment
- OTHER: With this option you can manually select the admin who will be granting approval by entering their name(s).
- Manual admin enrollment
- Automatic enrollment
- Enrollment key enrollment
- E-commerce purchases
- Course enrollment through a curriculum/course bundle
- Approval Request: immediately sent to admin to solicit approval/denial of the enrollment
- Approval Pending: immediately sent to learner to inform them of the process
- Approval Denied: sent to the learner if the enrollment has been denied (approved requests will be established via the final enrollment message)
- Session Approval Request: same as above but at the session level
- Session Approval Pending: same as above but at the session level
*See below for more on ILC session approval
Our pre-built message templates are particularly useful for learners who may not be familiar with the approval process, and receiving these can help to avoid confusion on their end. For users in charge of approval, this is a great way of being automatically kept up to date with enrollments for your courses.
The process of approval is a little bit different for ILC courses, as approval settings can exist both at the course level and the session level. While course approval can be found under the ENROLLMENT tab when editing a course, session approval can be found under the ENROLLMENT tab when editing a session. If an ILC course and its sessions have approval settings in place, in order to gain enrollment to a session you will need to:
- Self-enroll into the course
- Have your course enrollment approved
- Self-enroll in a session belonging to that course
- Have your session enrollment approved
- Via the Approval Request email
- Via the admin interface
Any time a user attempts to enroll in a course, Absorb will allow them to do so, however a modal window will pop up after doing so. It will let the learner know that their Approval is pending registration. Once Approval is granted, they will receive an email notification that they have been enrolled in the Course provided this is enabled.
If Session Approval is also required, they will see the below notification message indicating that their registration is pending approval. Once this too has been approved, they will receive another email notification that they have been enrolled in the Session.
Please note that email notifications have to either be enabled at the course level, or at the global level (within Setup > Message Templates) in order for learners to receive them.