Applies to: Pro, Plus, & Enterprise Plans
This is the fourth part of the Absorb Implementation Guide. You may want to go back to Absorb Implementation Guide - Training & Setup if you haven't reviewed it already.
Your Absorb implementation may include one or more of the following additional features (see your sales rep for pricing) - if none of this applies to your implementation feel free to skip ahead to Absorb Implementation Guide - Launch!
Topics in This Article:
- Historical Data Import
- CSV Sync Integration
- RESTful API Integration
- Single Sign-On Integration
- Data Exports
- Custom Portal URL & SSL Certificate
- Business Intelligence Reporting
A historical data import is a one-time import of data from another system, usually from a previous LMS. Please review our Data Imports articles for more details.
A scheduled data import (sometimes called a CSV file sync) is an ongoing data import that brings across data from another system on a scheduled basis. This type of integration is commonly used to bring users and other information over from an HRIS system automatically, usually on a nightly basis. Please review our Data Imports article for more details.
The RESTful API can be used to query and update Absorb data in real-time from external systems. This allows clients to create custom interface and reporting solutions that are tailored to their specific needs. Absorb provides access to the API, documentation, and support. You provide development resources to build the desired application and connect it to our API.
After an initial technical scoping discussion, your Customer Success Manager will provide your portal's RESTful API Private Key which you will need to get started with development and testing. Any questions can be directed to your Customer Success Manager.
Our online documentation for the RESTful API can be found here:
Single Sign-On (SSO) allows your users to access Absorb and other systems using a single set of credentials. There are two types of SSO to consider:
Incoming SSO allows your users to sign into some external application or website first, and then be automatically logged into Absorb without having to enter a second set of credentials. We support two methods for incoming SSO, SAML 2.0 and our own Absorb SSO. You will need to choose the one that works best with your system and develop/configure your side of the SSO integration. Detailed documentation for both options can be found here:
Outgoing SSO allows our users to sign into Absorb first, and then be automatically logged into some external application or website by clicking on a link in Absorb. This is useful for accessing third party course vendor sites without requiring your users to sign in again on the external site. Detailed documentation for outgoing SSO can be found here:
- Incoming and outgoing SSO integrations are implemented and configured entirely separate from each other. There is usually a separate fee associated with implementing each of them.
Absorb provides powerful and flexible reporting capabilities directly in the admin portal. If the built-in reports do not meet your needs however, a custom data export can be created (sometimes referred to as a "Custom Report"). These exports can be delivered by email or secure FTP, with data included and formatted to meet your specific business needs. In addition to custom admin reporting, this is also a great solution for automatically feeding data from Absorb into an external application (e.g. Salesforce, Workday, etc).
It's very important to note that these data exports are not on-demand reports and include no user interface (aside from whatever application you may use to open, view and/or edit the export file itself). Not what you're after? You may be interested in our full service Business Intelligence offering.
Each request for a Data Export needs to be evaluated for feasibility, so please get in touch with us if you think this may be required. More information on Data Exports can be found here.
The standard portal URL format for Absorb is yourcompany.myabsorb.com (or myabsorb.ca or myabsorb.eu). If you would like a custom portal URL like learning.yourcompany.com or yourcompanyuniversity.com then you can purchase an SSL certificate through us and have that implemented. There are two parts to a custom portal URL:
- Domain & DNS Setup: You must first purchase or already own the root domain being used (e.g. yourcompany.com). We will provide DNS settings that need to be made on your end to point the URL to your Absorb portal.
- SSL Certificate: There are three options for SSL certificates (outlined below). Once an option is chosen we will either generate and deploy the certificate on your behalf or deploy a certificate you have provided.
- Standard SSL Certificate: Covers domain.com and www.domain.com, OR learning.domain.com, and will allow the client to use a single domain with the LMS.
- Wildcard SSL Certificate: Covers *.domain.com, and will allow the client to use multiple subdomains off that domain with the LMS.
- Hosted SSL: The client is responsible for the purchase of the SSL Certificate, and will supply Absorb with the SSL Certificate so it can be deployed into the SaaS LMS environment