Applies to: Starter, Pro, Plus, & Enterprise Plans
--- THIS ARTICLE ONLY APPLIES TO ABSORB4 ---
The Advanced Filtering option is used to create specific reports with a more detailed view of the information within the LMS. Any report you create using the Advanced Filtering options can be saved and reviewed later under Manage Reports, saved as a Default view and exported as a .CSV or Excel file. Please Note: You cannot use scheduled email reports with the Advanced Filtering option.
How to use Advanced Filtering
In this example I will be using the Learner Activity Report, but the Advanced Filtering option is available on all Absorb Reports.
In the Administration Interface go to the Learner Activity Report under the Report heading.
Navigate to the panel on the right and select the “Advanced" tab.
Enable “Use Advanced Filtering,” a new button will then appear on the panel.
Hover next to “MUST HAVE ALL” and click the down arrow and choose a condition that will be applied to the query expression you would like to create.
- A query expression defines the search criteria for retrieving the information required from the report. It will consist of query terms and operators that allow you to specify more accurately what information is retrieved from the report.
- Select the data type to begin defining your query term. e.g Learner ID, Last Name, Username etc.
- A data type represents a field within a database that requires a specific type of data that can have a range of values. The Advanced Filter allows you to select a data type that can easily be searched and then compared to a value or another data type.
You can add as many expressions as your like to create your filter. Click the green plus button again to create the next expression. Once you have created your filter select "Search" to pull the results.
Using Groups to Filter Your Results
- If the results of your filter returns an unmanageable amount of information, consider using a further group to restrict the results.
- Groups allow you to generate smaller and more accurate reports. The new group of expressions you add will summarize the results from the last group of expressions created.
- Click the blue plus button to add a new group. Choose a new condition that will be applied to the next query expression and link it to the last expression created.
Now that you are more familiar with how Advanced Filtering works, we recommend you experiment with this feature. Learning through trial and error will help you see how Advanced Filtering could improve the accuracy of your reports.