Electronic Signature (E-Signature)
Admin Refresh Experience: Learning Objects
Table of Contents
Introduction to Learning Objects
A Learning Object is an element of an Online Course that contains virtual training materials, such as e-learning modules, videos, external links, etc. You configure Learning Objects within the Syllabus Course Setting block when building or editing Online Courses.
Electronic Signature (E-Signature)
The Electronic Signature Learning Object feature allows you to require that learners acknowledge or "sign-off" that they have met the specifications of the Course learning path. This functionality helps you catalog and report proof that a learner has read and accepted; providing the organization with confidence that learners are appropriately identified.
- If your environment uses SSO for User authentication: The use of electronically signing a Course using the Username and PIN method is for clients who employ SSO; however, all clients can elect this choice within the Template of the LMS.
- E-Signatures support one language per Course, as with Courses. If your environment supports multiple languages, you will need to create individual Courses and E-Signature Learning Objects to support each language.
- The E-Signature Learning Object can be placed anywhere within the Course Syllabus; depending on the Must Complete settings within the Course:
- All lessons, in any order
- All lessons, in order by chapter
- Exams only
How to Add an E-Signature Learning Object
E-Signature Learning Objects are created when either adding or editing an Online Course. The following instructions begin from the Syllabus Course Settings section of an Online Course build.
Remember, if your environment uses SSO to authenticate Users, you must use the Username and PIN confirmation method. Be sure to configure your PIN Collection in the Templates prior to creating the E-Signature Learning Object.
From the Course Settings > Syllabus section, click the Add Learning Object button.
- This button is located in the Outline Chapter 1 section of the Syllabus Course Settings block.
- This action will open the Add Learning Object pop-up modal.
Note: You can add the E-Signature to a new Chapter or to the existing Chapter. You may rename Chapter Names or use the default naming convention assigned, Chapter "#".
The Add Learning Object pop-up modal displays each Learning Object type option.
Select the E-Signature Learning Object Type by clicking its radio button or icon.
- Then click the Next button.
- This action will reload the modal to display the Add Electronic Signature Lesson form.
The Add Electronic Signature Lesson form consists of the following fields:
Name: Enter the Learning Object's Name. The Name identifies the Learning Object to Learners and Admins.
- This information is visible in both the Admin and Learner experiences.
- This is a required field.
Description: Enter a Description. The Description provides details about the Learning Object. Information entered here is visible in both the Admin and Learner experience.
Electronic Signature Agreement: Enter the E-Signature Agreement in the rich-text editor field. Information entered here is visible in both the Admin and Learner experience.
Method: Click the radio button to select an option:
- Authenticate: Users will be required to electronically sign by re-authenticating into the LMS portal with their username and password. This option cannot be used by learners logging into the LMS via SSO.
- PIN: Users will be required to electronically sign by entering their username and PIN.
Click the Save button to save your Learning Object settings, close the modal, and return to the Course Settings.
Click the Publish button to save your Course.
How to Configure a PIN for Electronic Signatures
The use of electronically signing a Course using the PIN method is for clients who employ SSO; however, all clients can elect this choice.
- Users will have the opportunity to create their own PIN upon their next login after the PIN option is selected for their department Template (or based on department hierarchy).
- Users who forget their PIN can have their Administrator reset it for them within the edit user page within the Admin site.
Navigate to the Templates page by clicking the Setup button from the Admin Menu and choose Templates from the sub-menu. You will be routed to the Templates Report page.
From the Templates Report, choose a template by clicking its checkbox.
- Once checked, click the Edit button from the Actions menu.
- This action will route you to the template's settings.
Click the Settings tab.
Scroll to the Profile block. Click to expand.
Click the Require PIN Creation For Electronic Signatures toggle button to change its status.
- Note: The toggle button will turn blue and display a checkmark when enabled (ON).
Click the Save button.
Click the Return to Admin Template button to go back to the Templates Report.