This article provides information and guidance on a portion of the Absorb LMS Admin Experience that is now upgraded to the refreshed Admin Experience (AE).
Please visit our Absorb Admin Refresh Checklist article for more details about what is available with the free Absorb Admin Experience upgrade.
How to add a Category
The following instructions guide you through the process of adding a Category.
These instructions will walk-through how to add a Category at the Course level.
Note: The workflow to manage all categories is identical, regardless of the category type.
1. Navigate to the Courses Icon, and click on Courses to populate the Courses Report page.
2. Select Add New Category or Manage Categories in the Action Menu, located on the right-hand side of the Course Administration page.
3. Select Add New Category from the Action Menu, located on the right-hand side of the Course Administration page.
4. Once you have completed filling out the required fields and creating your Category, click on Save to retain your changes.
The Add New Category Form consists of the following fields:
- Parent Category: This determines what the parent category will be for the category being created. If No Category is selected, the category will be set up as a top-level category instead of being nested within another.
- Name: In this field, enter the Category's name and a description of what the Learners will see when navigating through your content.
- Description: Here, you can provide a brief description of the category, but this description will not be visible to the Users.
Once you have saved your new Category, it will appear in the Categories Administration page and from the Category drop-down menu when setting up a Course, Global Resource, and Competency. If, for any reason, you need to edit or delete a Category, you can do so by selecting it from the Categories Administration page.
Note: If a Category is deleted from a Competency or Global Resource, it also deletes all content attached to that category. This means that subsequent Competencies and Global resources will also be deleted. Courses will not be removed.
- Deleting Categories at the Course level will remove the Category from the Course, but the Course will remain as-is.
- Deleting Categories at a Global Resources level will remove the Category and the Global Resource(s) attached to the Category.
- Deleting Categories at the Competency level will remove the Category and the Competency(s) attached to the Category.