This article provides information and guidance on a portion of the Absorb LMS Admin Experience that is now upgraded to the refreshed Admin Experience (AE).
Please visit our Absorb Admin Refresh Checklist article for more details about what is available with the free Absorb Admin Experience upgrade.
Admin Refresh Experience: Courses
Table of Contents
- Configuring a Certificate Upload
- Learner Interface Overview
- Approving the Certificate Upload
- Roles & Permissions
This article will focus on the course upload type Certificate. Configuring a certificate course upload within an online course will allow for easy tracking of learners' training that has been completed outside of the LMS. This feature will provide a number of options when organizing information that will be provided by the learner.
Configuring a Certificate Upload
The following steps will walk through the configuration of a Certificate Upload.
Sign in to your Admin portal, select Courses from the Courses section of the Admin Menu. You will land on the Course Administration page.
Search for the Online Course and select Edit or select Add Online Course.
Navigate to the Completion section of the Online Course settings.
Toggle Certificate to On. The options to add a Certificate PDF or use the Default Certificate will display, as well as the option to set up an additional certification on the Online Course. Please see more about Certificates in Course Settings: Completion and How to Configure Course Certificates.
Select Add Certificate Upload. The following options will display.
- Edit Upload Instructions will allow you to provide instructions that will be visible when viewing the course details on the learner interface under the course uploads tab.
- Label is the title for the upload in order to help learners differentiate between any Course Uploads that have been added to the course and what will display on the Learner's Transcripts.
Approval allows the Certificate Upload the ability to be configured to either:
- None allows the Certificate Upload to receive a completion, once the Learner has completed their steps.
- Course Editor will require the Course Editor to approve the Learner's entries before the Certificate Upload can be completed.
- Supervisor requires the person populated in the Learner's User Management > Supervisor field to approve the Learner's entries before the Certificate Upload can be completed.
- Administrator requires the Admin(s) that have the Learner's Department listed in the Admin's User Management > Manage Department to approve the Learner's entries before the Certificate Upload can be completed.
- Other will require the Admin(s) selected in this field to approve the Learner's entries before the Certificate Upload can be completed.
Note: You can only add 1 Certificate Upload to an Online Course and Lessons are not required to deliver the Online Course to Users.
Select Save or Publish to save your changes.
Learner Interface Overview
A Certificate Upload by the learner is available to add to an Online Course or an Instructor-Led Course, which will require the leaner to add their own Certification before the training can be completed.
The Learner will find all Uploads (regardless if it's a Certificate Upload or not) in the Uploads tab or the right sidebar, located on the Course Details page. Once the learner has selected Upload they will then be prompted to enter the fields required and optional to complete the upload process. Once entered this information will be added to the Certificate generated by the Online Course, if the Certificate has been configured to have all the available fields (How to Create Custom Certificates for Learners). The fields will include:
- Upload: This is a required field, where the Learner must upload a copy of the physical certificate given to the learner outside of the LMS.
- Date Issued: This is a required field, where the Learner must enter in the date the certification was earned.
- Has Expiry Date: When toggled On, the Learner must enter in the Expiry Date and when toggled Off, the Certification will never expire and the Learner is not required to enter in the Expiry Date.
- Expiry Date: If Has Expiry Date is toggled On, then the Learner will be required to enter in the date the certification expires.
- Issuer: This is a required field, where the Learner will enter in the Governing body that administered the certification.
- Notes: This is an optional field that the Learner can enter in any additional information.
Once saved and uploaded (with no pending approval) the learner can review the certificate information associated with the generated certificate. The learner has the option to replace the upload if necessary using the Replace button.
Approving the Certificate Upload
The Course Uploads report will allow Administrators to view all learner uploads through the course upload feature including Certificate course uploads. This report will allow filtering of specific data associated with the certificate upload such as the Certificate Expiry Date, Certificate Issue Date, Certificate Issuer, and more. For more information, please visit The Course Upload Report article.
Roles & Permissions
Please note that your environment may use customized Role(s), Permissions, or a combination of both to regulate access to this report.
Admins must have Generated Reports in their Role, in order to export data to Excel or CSV on any Administration page or Report page.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your local System Administrator to review your current permission set.
Required Role Permissions
Keep in mind that you may need to adjust Course level Course Administrator permissions.
|Role: Section Access||Permission(s) Needed|
|Courses > Online Courses > Completion||View and Modify permission|
Suggested Role Permissions
|Role: Section Access||Permission(s) Needed|
View or Modify permission
|Reports > Course Approvals||