In the Absorb LMS, you can provide additional content to Learners by uploading Resources. These consist of supplementary content related to the course that exist outside of the traditional lesson format. Resources can be uploaded to the LMS in two different locations, depending on who you want to have access to the Resource(s).
The first of these is adding a Resource to a specific Course. Resources can be added to both Online or Instructor Led Courses, or to a Curriculum. The other option is to upload Resources that can be used for an Course in the LMS, called Global Resources. These can be uploaded through the Global Resources page in the Admin Interface.
Course Resources can be added in the Resources tab in any Online Course, Instructor Led Course, or Curriculum. They are displayed under the Resources tab to the right-hand side of the Course Content tab under a specific course which has been accessed from the My Courses page in the Learner Experience. They will ONLY be available to Learners that have been enrolled in the course.
Adding Course or Curriculum Resources
Resources can be added either during course creation, or editing the course after it has been created. To add a Resource to a course or curricula, follow the steps below:
- In the Admin Interface, click on the Courses button in the left-hand menu.
- In the Courses menu, click Courses.
- On the Courses page, select the Course or Curriculum you want to add a Resource to.
- In the Actions menu, click Edit.
- If it is not already active, click the Resources tile in the Course or Curriculum Settings Navigation Bar to enable it.
- Once enabled, double click on this tile to jump to the Resources section of the Course/Curriculum.
- Click the Add Resource button.
Course Resource Visibility
There may be times when you want to restrict the visibility of certain Course Resources to Learners who are enrolled in the Course or Curriculum. You can configure this using the following steps:
- In the Admin Interface, click Setup in the left-hand menu.
- Click Templates.
- In the Templates page, select the Template you want to change the Settings for.
- Click Edit.
- In the Learner Template, navigate to the Courses tab.
- Open the Courses section.
- Under Course Details Layout > Enable Pre-enrollment, use the checkbox to set the visibility of the Course Resources.
Note: If the Template is the child of a Parent Department and has Inherited Settings, you will not be able to change the Resource Visibility unless you disable the Inherit Settings of Parent Department option at the top of this section.
- Click Save at the bottom of the Courses section.
- Scroll to the top of the page and click Return to Admin Template.
By deselecting Resources, the Resources tab will appear empty until after the Learner is enrolled in the Course/Curriculum.
Global Resources are uploaded to the LMS instead of a specific Course. By default, they can be accessed by all signed-in users of the LMS unless specific availability rules are set up for those Resources. They can be organized using Resource Categories, which are an optional way to organize Resources in the LMS.
You can organize Resources in the LMS using optional Resource Categories, which allow you to group and sort Resources based on your use case. You can learn more about Resource Categories here.
Adding Global Resources
Global Resources can be added through the Admin Interface. To add a new Global Resource, follow the steps below:
- In the Admin Interface, click on Courses in the left-hand menu.
- Click Global Resources.
- Click Add Global Resource in the right-hand menu.
- Fill out the fields on the Add Global Resource page. Note that the Name field is required.
- Add any Availability Rules.
In the mobile app, you can enable a Global Resource to be accessible in the mobile app. If this option is set to ON, an additional setting for Allow download for offline viewing becomes available. Enabling this option allows the Global Resource to be downloaded for offline use.
- Click Save.
Global Resources are accessible in the following ways on the Learner Experience:
- A Dashboard tile
- In the Options Menu in the Learner Experience. Users can access this by selecting the menu on the top right-hand corner of the screen, and selecting the Resources option, which will redirect them to the Resources page.
- Additionally, Resources can be found by using the Search option located in the top right of the screen in the Learner Experience.
Managing Global Resources
Global Resources can be managed from the Global Resources page in the Admin Interface. You can apply both single and mass actions to Global Resources.
Selecting a single Global Resource makes the Edit, Track, and Delete Global Resource options available in the Actions menu on the right-hand side of the page.
- Edit Global Resource allows you to modify the selected Resource.
- Track Resource allows you to view who has accessed the selected Resource.
- Delete Global Resource will delete the selected Resource from the LMS.
Selecting multiple Global Resources enables the Delete Global Resources option in the Mass Actions menu.
For both single and mass action menus, click the Deselect button to deselect the selected Resources.